Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

The lead-up to the Final 23

First off apologies abound. This week was killer with work commitments which prevented me from putting together a coherent piece on the Azzurri's training camp.

All seems to be coming together for Prandelli's Azzurri. I'm especially excited at feeling of fresh air within the squad. It seems for the most part that everyone there is boasting this feeling of wanting to be there and giving it their all. During the lead-up to the 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP there was a sense of nervousness and dissolution that surrounded Lippi and the Azzurri. In fact if you remember, it seemed that more time was spent deflecting questions then preparing the squad for the ultimate tournament.

This time around the mood is relaxed, calm, and one of quiet optimism. I'm impressed with our manager thus far and I am really appreciating how he is building this cohesive atmosphere for the squad. It's a squad of promise, inclusion and youth. Bravo so far to Prandelli.

As many of you already know, this week (Monday) Prandelli will announce his 23 man Euro 2012 squad. The very 23 men that will put forth a performance we hope will resonate among the World and reintroduce the Azzurri as a Force amongst footballing nations.

This morning, I took to my iPad and read a spot on TSN.ca (yes I live in Canada); it was a piece outlining training camps and the build up to Euro 2012. The article began with dribble about Spain - how the clock has struck 12 for David Villa and he will not be able to attend Euro 2012. After highlighting Spain's awesomeness, the article proceeded to outline the German and Dutch squads, before zeroing in on England for the rest of the 3/4's of the article. I thought; impressive, this article mentioned a couple key points I wasn't aware of: 1. The 2010 FIFA WORLD CUP's most lasting moment was not Spain lifting the Cup, but Lampard's non-goal against Germany. I would have never thought - with Germany pummeling 4 goals into the back of their net I really didnt think for a moment that Lampard's missed goal was all that important... shows what I know.

The second thing I learned is that have we the Azzurri regressed so far because of World Cup 2012 that the news media no longer place us under the scope of contenders?

Shows what they know! I'm not aware there is a point to this article but a mere rant that I believe, regardless of our performance at Euro 2012, we the Azzurri have arrived. If for nothing more than the sheer re-branding of our national team under Prandelli.

I haven't felt this freshness since the day 2010 Lippi's impressive twin brother 2006 Lippi took over the bench from Trappatoni and proceeded to guide us to a World Cup triumph.

Here are some more words by Prandelli:

On The Attack:
"Destro is certainly wasting no time and he's giving me a good feeling."

"Balotelli? I believe him when he says that he won't get sent off. I'm 100 per cent sure of that.

Injuries - A Manager that doesn't believe in bringing injured players to major tournaments? Really?
"My worries surround the three or four players who are recovering from injury. Riccardo Montolivo is my biggest concern. I know him well, he wants to recover and is on the mend, but I still have doubts."
"I want to leave for the tournament with certainties and no doubts. "I don't feel as if I can go to Euro 2012 with a few injured players."

The mood in the Camp.
"We know that we can start something important here." "All of the players know that this will be an extraordinary opportunity for them."